Pear, Arugula, and Pancetta Salad
A few simple ingredients come together in an unexpected way to create a delicate beginning for a luxurious dinner.
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mild honey
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 oz thinly sliced pancetta (4 to 5 slices)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 firm-ripe pears
- 4 cups baby arugula or torn larger arugula (1 1/4 lb)
- 3 oz ricotta salata, thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler
Whisk together vinegar, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a salad bowl. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined well.
Cook pancetta in oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, turning frequently, until just crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain (pancetta will crisp as it cools). Tear into bite-size pieces.
Halve pears lengthwise, core, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Add pears to dressing along with arugula, cheese, and pancetta, tossing to coat.